In celebration of Bob Marley’s 77th anniversary, our co-founder and producer, Mark Johnson, has created a special playlist of Bob Marley’s music by Playing For Change, in which he shares his experiences while recording around the world.
1) One Love This was one of our first ever PFC Songs Around The World, and I remember recording in Dharamshala, India in a record store with all Tibetan and Indian CD's except for Bob Marley's "Legend" right in the center. His music is everywhere.
2) War No More Trouble This was another one of our first ever PFC Songs Around The World, and this version was born directly out of our travels witnessing a world with way too many starving children and warring nations. Let the music spread the wisdom that reconnects us all to our shared humanity.
3) Three Little Birds We started this Song Around The World with Baaba Maal at the opening of our PFC music school in the ancient village of Kirina, Mali. The melody and structure are completely different from Bob Marley, as it's all played in the key of C while staying on one chord the whole time. Somehow it works and the message of the song transcends everything else.
4) Redemption Song This is one of my all-time favorite Bob Marley songs, and for this version we added Stephen Marley, along with his dad; reunited through the music. I remember asking the musicians to play as if it was the last thing they would ever play in this life. You can feel the emotion and heart from everyone involved, and collectively they honor the message of this anthem and sing a global song of freedom.
5) Natural Mystic This is such a heavy, deep song, and we had the honor of including Donald Kinsey, guitarist from Bob Marley and the Wailers, and Peter Tosh on our Song Around The World version. The song segues from the minor to the major and into a song from Paula Fuga, titled "Just a Little Bit."
6) Get Up Stand Up (Original Version) This song started with three PFC Band members, Roberto Luti, Sherieta Lewis and Mermans Mosengo, and then Aztec Indians on percussion ,and eventually we added Keith Richards and Keb' Mo' on guitars and vocals.
7) Soul Rebel This song features Bunny Wailer, Manu Chao and Bushman together in one of Bunny's final recordings. He is the true Soul Rebel and this song is a tribute to Bunny, Bob and all those that inspire us to lift each other up and go from the darkness to the light.
8) Mr. Bobby This Manu Chao song was recorded and filmed in my backyard and features Courtney Diedrick on drums, Twanguero on lead guitar and Mermans Mosengo with I-Taweh for lead vocals, guitar and bass. I love the groove and feel of this roots reggae version and the call to Bob Marley to save us all.
9) Trenchtown Rock "One great thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." Words of wisdom by Bob Marley. This version, featuring members of the PFC Band, was recorded and filmed live outside in the Caribbean Island of Anguilla. Enjoy some paradise.
10) Mellow Mood This performance features Mermans Mosengo and Jason Tamba, from both the PFC Band and Afro Fiesta, recorded and filmed in Los Angeles.
Keep on celebrating this #blackhistorymonth with us! Check out more exclusive blog posts and videos at your members portal.